Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Where's the other 1/2?

Ran the NYC 1/2 marathon this past weekend. And, it was pretty cool - a loop around Central Park (albeit a very loooooooong loop), then down 7th Avenue to Times Square (for the Cheer-along sing-along of various Broadway hits, complete with a jumbo screen of the words to follow along with...) then we went west on 42nd to the West Side Highway. And, continued south to the finish running, literally, on the West Side Drive- with South bound traffic closed for the race. For those of you who were driving on Sunday in Manhattan (or should I say, attempting to drive on Sunday), all apologies.

It was a good time, hot as...well, hell, and far. Far especially for a girl like me who didn't exactly bother with the whole "training" component of the 1/2 marathon. A key component really. But, like my entire year of races - I just keep showing up. Not sure I'll be able to "just show up" to the full marathon next year (2010), so hopefully eventually I'll try out that "training" thing. But, for now... well, I'm just sitting here with some sore quads - glad I did it, and glad it's over.

Next race - More Fitness 4-miler. In Central Park in September - an easy, 4 miles. In the meantime I'm just thankful for a little reprieve from races - and thankful to be sleeping in for the next few weekends to come....

And just counting down the last few days of being able to say "I'm 28" - 28 - a great year indeed.

No comments: