Monday, August 24, 2009

2-9, yo

So, this is what 29 feels like. I think I'm going to have to grow into it, but it's a nice fit overall. Afterall, we all know (New Yorkers especially, in this little playground of ours...) 30 is the new 20, which makes 29 the new 19. And, this year is certainly going to rock a lot more than 19. It's like 19 with an expense account. 19 with more money, better clothes, and fewer loser boyfriends, and less exams. Sounds lovely actually...

28 was a pretty awesome year - can't lie about that. But, my career certainly wasn't the shiniest of spots - it wasn't exactly a year of creative, fulfilling, passionate work... And, while I happily took my paychecks, and refused to feel an ounce of guilt for bouncing out of my wee lil' cubicle at 5 on the dot, I still couldn't help but feel there must be something more out there... I just know another year of 9-5 cubicle monotomy is not going to make for a happy J. Nicole... So, this year? So, what's on tap for the 9th year of my third decade of life? Well, more satisfying work - it's the year of finding what makes me happy and going for it.

I've got the boyfriend (greatest in history, or so they say), the apartment, and some killer friends - and an ability to shamelessly gloat about it on my blog. But, this year? Well, this year, it's time to shamelessly go for something bigger, better, more creative, more interesting and less, well, life sucking in terms of work. I'm going to go back to my roots - and do what I do best. Take big risks, do crazy things, be adventurous and audacious. And, I'm not settling for just a paycheck paired with banal work.

So, this year? Well, this year is the year of the blog post. It's the year of improv classes. It's the year of finishing my first book (and submitting the heck out of it). It's the year of a different direction in my career and in my life. And, well, I guess it started today.

So, here's my blog post. And, the start of something more, something new, something different. Out with the old and in with the new...

Now, if someone could just tell me where Britney Spears will be this evening at 6p. I'm on a mission to find her and win those two damn front row tickes. Anyone?

No comments: